Hedge Fund Data
2021 hedge fund industry deep dive
- A combination of positive performance and marginal net inflows saw industry assets grow over the year by just over $243bn. From a growth perspective, multi-strategy funds were the big winners, benefitting from a combination of significant net inflows as well as strong performance.
- The hedge fund industry continued its positive run of performance through 2021, finishing up 7.6%, having returned over 9% the previous year.
- Performance dispersion between the top and bottom decile performing segments of the hedge fund universe fell sharply in 2021, however, current dispersion remains elevated relative to the 2012-2020 period.
- The best performing strategies were event (+12.1%), multi-strategy (+11.4%), long biased (+10.8%), and credit (+9%).
- Coordinated activity by retail investors in January led to extreme levels of volatility in the equity long/short space. However, diversification contained the damage, ensuring that contagion from elevated equity long/short volatility did not spread across the whole hedge fund space, with strategies such as event, long biased, credit, arbitrage and macro sailing through January relatively unscathed.
- Overall hedge funds performed well in 2021 with the HF composite return comfortably above its 5yr CAR (6.59%)
The best performing strategies were event (+12.1%), multi-strategy (+11.4%), long biased (+10.8%), and credit (+9.0%). All of these strategies’ performance (except multi-strategy) figures were heavily skewed towards positive performance produced in the first half of the year.
Multi-strategy funds had the most consistent returns and also outperformed in H2, with particular stand out performance in September and November, both of which were negative months for the hedge fund industry (-0.3% and -1.3%) and also where both equities and bonds sold off.
Quantitative strategies ended their dismal run of performance (+8.6%); they did particularly well in December driven by the risk premia and quant EMN sub-strategies.
Macro funds were the clear underperformers in 2021, down 20bps after a particularly challenging second half of the year, with many funds wrong-footed by rate moves in October and November.
Equity long/short (+4%) also underperformed relative to other strategies and longer-term averages. This underperformance is also surprising given continuing appreciation of equity markets.
Credit’s performance was strong relative to its 5 year CAR (compound annual return) (+5.1%).
NET RETURN OF MASTER STRATEGIES (1 YR)
*HF Composite = Aurum Hedge Fund Data Engine Asset Weighted Composite Index. **Bonds = S&P Global Developed Aggregate Ex Collateralized Bond (USD). ***Equities = S&P Global BMI. † = Returns net of all fees and expenses.
You may also like
Arbitrage deep dive – Oct 22
The period under review includes ‘the worst cross asset selloff since 1981’ with simultaneous declines across equities, commodities, corporate and…
Monthly hedge fund performance review – October 2022
Hedge fund performance was largely positive in October. Strategies with a higher beta to equities outperformed other strategies, as most equity markets…
Macro deep dive – Sep 22
Macro funds generated an average return of 2.2% in the 12 months through September 2022. Strategy AUM has fallen by $11.1bn, due to net outflows of $16.3bn…
Aurum’s quarterly review – Q3 2022
All of Aurum’s managed funds and bespoke accounts delivered positive returns in the third quarter of 2022. Performance for Aurum’s commingled fund…
Monthly hedge fund performance review – September 2022
Hedge fund performance was mixed in September, whilst equities and bonds sold off, particularly in the latter part of the month. Hedge fund performance…
Quant deep dive – Aug 22
Quant funds generated an average return of 12.8% in the 12 months to August 2022 Strategy AUM has grown by $42.8bn, net profits contributed $47.8bn of…
Monthly hedge fund performance review – August 2022
Hedge fund performance was largely positive in August, whilst equities and bonds sold off, particularly in the latter part of the month. Hedge fund performance…
Monthly hedge fund performance review – July 2022
Hedge fund performance was generally positive in July, albeit with some exceptions, with narrower dispersion than in June. Strategies with a higher beta…
Does structure matter? Hedge funds v alternative UCITS – H1 2022 update
Earlier this year we wrote about the growing performance gap that has emerged between hedge funds and their alternative UCITS (“alt UCITS”) counterparts…
Hedge fund industry deep dive – H1 22
Hedge fund performance was down 4.0% YTD. H1 2022 has been an extraordinarily challenging time period, not only for financial markets, but also for the…
Aurum’s quarterly review – Q2 2022
All of Aurum’s managed funds and bespoke accounts delivered positive returns in the second quarter of 2022. Performance for Aurum’s commingled fund…