Hedge Fund Data
2021 hedge fund industry deep dive
- A combination of positive performance and marginal net inflows saw industry assets grow over the year by just over $243bn. From a growth perspective, multi-strategy funds were the big winners, benefitting from a combination of significant net inflows as well as strong performance.
- The hedge fund industry continued its positive run of performance through 2021, finishing up 7.6%, having returned over 9% the previous year.
- Performance dispersion between the top and bottom decile performing segments of the hedge fund universe fell sharply in 2021, however, current dispersion remains elevated relative to the 2012-2020 period.
- The best performing strategies were event (+12.1%), multi-strategy (+11.4%), long biased (+10.8%), and credit (+9%).
- Coordinated activity by retail investors in January led to extreme levels of volatility in the equity long/short space. However, diversification contained the damage, ensuring that contagion from elevated equity long/short volatility did not spread across the whole hedge fund space, with strategies such as event, long biased, credit, arbitrage and macro sailing through January relatively unscathed.
- Overall hedge funds performed well in 2021 with the HF composite return comfortably above its 5yr CAR (6.59%)
The best performing strategies were event (+12.1%), multi-strategy (+11.4%), long biased (+10.8%), and credit (+9.0%). All of these strategies’ performance (except multi-strategy) figures were heavily skewed towards positive performance produced in the first half of the year.
Multi-strategy funds had the most consistent returns and also outperformed in H2, with particular stand out performance in September and November, both of which were negative months for the hedge fund industry (-0.3% and -1.3%) and also where both equities and bonds sold off.
Quantitative strategies ended their dismal run of performance (+8.6%); they did particularly well in December driven by the risk premia and quant EMN sub-strategies.
Macro funds were the clear underperformers in 2021, down 20bps after a particularly challenging second half of the year, with many funds wrong-footed by rate moves in October and November.
Equity long/short (+4%) also underperformed relative to other strategies and longer-term averages. This underperformance is also surprising given continuing appreciation of equity markets.
Credit’s performance was strong relative to its 5 year CAR (compound annual return) (+5.1%).
NET RETURN OF MASTER STRATEGIES (1 YR)
*HF Composite = Aurum Hedge Fund Data Engine Asset Weighted Composite Index. **Bonds = S&P Global Developed Aggregate Ex Collateralized Bond (USD). ***Equities = S&P Global BMI. † = Returns net of all fees and expenses.
You may also like
Does structure matter? Hedge funds v alternative UCITS – H1 2022 update
Earlier this year we wrote about the growing performance gap that has emerged between hedge funds and their alternative UCITS (“alt UCITS”) counterparts…
Hedge fund industry deep dive – H1 22
H1 2022 has been an extraordinarily challenging time period, not only for financial markets, but also for the global geopolitical landscape. The hedge…
Aurum’s quarterly review – Q2 2022
All of Aurum’s managed funds and bespoke accounts delivered positive returns in the second quarter of 2022. Performance for Aurum’s commingled fund…
Why manager selection is critical when building a hedge fund portfolio
In the latter part of 2021, we did a short note looking at how investors in hedge funds that have a higher exposure to beta-driven strategies had been…
Monthly hedge fund performance review – June 2022
Hedge fund performance was mixed in June, with wider dispersion than in May. Strategies with a higher beta to equities continued to underperform other…
Equity long/short deep dive – May 22
Equity l/s underperformed over the past year, with the strategy underperforming directional equities, as well as the broader hedge fund universe. Equity…
Monthly hedge fund performance review – May 2022
Hedge fund performance was generally negative in May, with wider dispersion than in April. Macro was the only master strategy with positive returns. Strategies…
Multi-strategy deep dive – Apr 22
Multi-strategy funds posted 12 consecutive months of positive returns during a period that provided a number of significant challenges across the hedge…
Is performance or asset gathering driving growth in hedge fund industry assets?
In the wake of recent market volatility, even more investors are seeking downside protection from hedge funds, resulting in large inflows into the hedge…
Monthly hedge fund performance review – April 2022
Hedge fund performance was mixed in April with slightly wider dispersion than in March. Strategies with a higher beta to equities remained weaker than…
Aurum’s quarterly review – Q1 2022
All of Aurum’s managed funds and bespoke accounts delivered positive returns in the first quarter of 2022. Performance for Aurum’s commingled fund…